In recent years, many drug treatment facilities have adopted holistic treatments into their programs. These holistic approaches help bring harmony to an addict’s mind, body and soul. Bodywork practices such as chiropractic and massage therapy can be effective in helping newly recovering addicts achieve lasting sobriety. Message therapy, chiropractic care and other forms of touch therapies help alleviate the pains associated with early recovery and help optimize body functioning. If you want to know more about the benefits of massage and chiropractic therapy in recovery, call B-Hope toll-free today.
Understanding Massage Therapy, Chiropractic Care, and Bodywork
Bodywork therapies such as massage and chiropractic care are effective tools in helping addicts in early recovery. Both interventions help rejuvenate the body and mind through different avenues. Massage therapy involves the manual manipulation of soft body tissues which include muscles, connective tissue, and tendons. Examples of massage therapy techniques include aromatherapy massage, Swedish massage, deep tissue and shiatsu massage.
Chiropractic care focuses on the spine and other joints of the body. As a bodywork therapy, chiropractic care focuses on how the spine and other parts of the neuroskeletal system are connected to the nervous system. Chiropractors use adjustments to restore full joint functioning which in turn optimizes the nervous system. Like massage therapy, chiropractic care helps patients achieve and maintain their well-being without the overuse of drugs and other interventions.
The Benefits of Massage Therapy and Chiropractic Care in Early Recovery
Early recovery is a crucial time for addicts in treatment. During this period, addicts experience a variety of physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms. The pain and discomfort associated with withdrawal can be a trigger for relapse behaviors. Bodywork practices like massage therapy and chiropractic care can ease the discomfort of withdrawal and make early recovery more tolerable.
Massage therapy in early recovery can provide the following benefits:
- Massage therapy helps stimulate serotonin and dopamine production which promotes happiness and calm.
- Massage therapy lowers cortisol levels. Cortisol increases stress in the body.
- Helps lower both heart rate and blood pressure.
- Promotes healthy sleep patterns.
- Helps with the removal of metabolic waste and stimulates the body’s parasympathetic nervous system.
- Massage therapy reduces pain symptoms and helps the body remove metabolic waste.
- Allows patients to better connect with their own bodies, improves or increases body awareness and builds trust.
Chiropractic care can also be of tremendous benefit for those in early recovery. The following are the most significant benefits associated with this bodywork intervention:
- Stress Relief– Chiropractic care provides newly recovering decrease the stress associated with recovery. Early recovery is often filled with uncertainty, tremendous anxiety, and significant discomfort. It is crucial to find ways to relax the body and mind, and for those early in sobriety, it can be tremendously difficult. As part of an individual treatment plan, chiropractic treatment can provide a significant amount stress relief.
- Emotional Comfort and Stability-Chiropractic care also provide newly recovering addicts a sense of emotional stability. During early recovery, an addict will experience a wide range of emotions that are raw and difficult to understand and process. In addition to psychotherapy and 12-step support, chiropractic care in drug treatment can help to bring a sense of calm and stillness. Once this sense of emotional equilibrium is achieved. It allows the addict to process their thoughts and emotions in a more healthy and positive manner.
- Decreased Pain-Additionally, chiropractic care decreases the physical pain that accompanies early recovery. When an addict enters treatment, the process of weaning off substances can be extremely painful. As stated earlier, pain and discomfort are a common relapse trigger and can lead back to active substance use if not address in a timely fashion. Chiropractic therapy can help to identify and relieve that pain. As a result, the detox process becomes more tolerable and the addict can stabilize to the point where they can enter intensive drug treatment.
Chiropractic therapy provides patients with additional benefits that promote recovery. Examples include decreased cravings, a reduction in depression and anxiety, greater circulation and increased oxygen levels.
An Excellent Addition to Your Individual Treatment Plan
Massage therapy and chiropractic treatments can provide you the additional tools you need to get and stay sober. While effective, these bodywork interventions are not a stand-alone cure. You must have a well-rounded treatment program that addresses all your unique and specific needs.
First and foremost, drug treatment must have a quality medical detoxification program. During detox, you will wean from substances in a comfortable and supportive atmosphere. While medications are often used to help make withdrawal tolerable, massage therapy and chiropractic care can provide additional relief.
Once you are physically and psychologically stable, you are able to enter intensive drug treatment. During treatment, you will receive therapy, 12-step group support, life and coping skills training and other interventions. During treatment, you will receive the support of treatment staff and your peers in recovery.
Once treatment is completed, there are a variety of outpatient programs that help you gain confidence in your recovery as you transition back into daily life. From outpatient counseling and relapse prevention to sober living, you learn to implement the life and coping skills needed to stay sober while dealing with the stresses of everyday life.
Do You or a Loved One Need Help Overcoming Addiction?
Drug and alcohol addiction is a progressive condition that impacts the addict and their loved ones. Addiction isn’t a phase; it is a debilitating disease that requires professional help. If you, a family member or a loved one needs help, call B-Hope toll-free right now. We offer a wide range of treatment services that will help you break free from substance abuse. Our experienced treatment team will work with you in creating a treatment plan that will help you achieve lifelong sobriety. Begin your journey to recovery today with help from B-Hope.